A career in the Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics cluster will be involved in planning, managing, and providing scientific research and professional and technical services including laboratory and testing services, and research and development services.
Engineering and Technology
- Individuals pursuing a career in the in the Engineering and Technology Pathway should be able to study and apply principles from advanced mathematics, life sciences, physical science, earth and space science, and technology. In addition, future engineers and technologists should learn certain processes in mathematics, science, and technology. In Grades 9-12, all future engineers and technologists should study mathematics each year, learning important mathematical concepts and processes defined by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics in Principles and Standards for School Mathematics. With such knowledge and skills, individuals will be able to demonstrate the following competencies: 1.) Apply mathematics, science, and technology concepts to solve problems quantitatively in engineering projects involving design, development, or production in various technologies; and 2.) Recognize the core concepts of technology and their relationships with engineering, science and math, and other subjects. All future engineers and technologists should learn important science concepts and processes with an understanding of physics, chemistry, and biology as a minimal set. These concepts and processes are defined by the National Research Council in the National Science Education Standards and by the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Benchmarks for Science Literacy. Additionally, learner should become proficient in the areas of technology defined by the Standards for Technological Literacy.
- Individuals pursuing careers in the Science and Mathematics Pathway apply essential mathematics and science content and skills in a real world context. Science and mathematics occupations include those in physical, environmental, and human endeavors. Career possibilities range from teachers of science and mathematics to lab technicians to NASA astronauts. Preparation for such occupations require the following: 1) Understanding the process and applying the skills necessary to engage in discovery; 2)Recognizing the need to obtain a broad education in science and mathematics and share (communicate) this knowledge with the world; and 3) Understanding the role of gathering, creating, processing, and sharing data in science and mathematics.
Knowledge and Skill Statements
- Cluster Level Knowledge and Skill Statements
- Engineering and Technology Pathway Level Knowledge and Skill Statements
- Science and Mathematics Pathway Level Knowledge and Skill Statements