The Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security Cluster helps prepare students for careers in planning, managing, and providing legal, public safety, protective services and homeland security, including professional and technical support services.
- Individuals pursuing a career in the Correction Services Pathway are responsible for overseeing individuals who have been arrested and are awaiting trial or who have been convicted of a crime and sentenced to serve time in a jail, reformatory, or penitentiary. While the primary mission of corrections is protection of the public, many in this field are involved with the treatment, education and reintegration of offenders.
- Individuals pursuing a career in the Emergency and Fire Management Services Pathway help protect the public against dangers by rapidly responding to a variety of emergencies. They are frequently the first emergency personnel at the scene of a traffic accident or medical emergency and may be called upon to put out a fire, treat injuries or perform other vital functions.
- Individuals pursuing a career in the Security and Protective Services Pathway often work in public buildings such as museums or art galleries to protect paintings and exhibits by inspecting people and packages entering and leaving the building. In factories, laboratories, government buildings, data processing centers, and military bases, security officers protect information, products, computer codes, and defense secrets and check the credentials of people and vehicles entering and leaving the premises.
- Individuals pursuing a career in the Law Enforcement Services Pathway have duties that range from controlling traffic to preventing and investigating crimes. They maintain order; enforce laws and ordinances; issue traffic summonses; investigate accidents; present evidence in court; serve legal documents for the court system; and apprehend, arrest and process prisoners.
- Individuals pursuing a career in the Legal Services Pathway form the backbone of this vital system, linking it to society in myriad ways. For this reason, they hold positions of great responsibility and are obligated to adhere to a strict code of ethics.
Knowledge and Skill Statements
- Cluster Level Knowledge and Skill Statements
- Correction Services Pathway Level Knowledge and Skill Statements
- Emergency and Fire Management Services Pathway Level Knowledge and Skill Statements
- Security and Protective Services Pathway Level Knowledge and Skill Statements
- Law Enforcement Services Pathway Level Knowledge and Skill Statements
- Legal Services Pathway Level Knowledge and Skill Statements